Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's a Small World


This past week my husband and I were fly fishing at Lake Taneycomo in Branson, Missouri when we met a really nice couple, Dennis and Debbie. They were fishing the same great spot that Scott and I enjoy fishing. Debbie was delighted to show us her "big catch" of the day. She said that she and Dennis have been vacationing and fishing in Branson for years and that this was the biggest rainbow trout either of them had ever caught. It was probably 6 to 7 lbs and quite impressive. Scott could not resist picking up the fish for a nice photo. Don't worry, he wouldn't dream of misrepresenting this fish as his.
We talked some more of the wonders of fishing and/or fly fishing and about how the people you meet on vacation are all so nice. The funniest thing happened though after awhile. We learned that we all were from Lawrence, Kansas. I think it is remarkable how it is that you can be on vacation and still meet people from your own backyard.
It's always nice to get away for a vacation, but it's also very nice living in a place like Lawrence, Kansas where there are so many nice folks.

2 comments:

  1. What a cool story. I've only been living in Lawrence since July of 2006 and I already feel like it's my home. I've met so many great people in Lawrence and love the community spirit of Lawrence, Kansas. I think Lawrence is one of the best places to live in the mid-west.
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've traveled all over this great country and lived in Branson, Mo after I retired. I then moved to Lawrence, Ks in 2005 and have met the greatest people in this very friendly community. I now have several of my best friends in Lawrence, Kansas and would invite Susan and Scott to go fishing in the Lawrence, Ks area anytime. Lawrence, Kansas has a few great places to fish for bass, crappie, walleye, catfish and bluegill. Check out Clinton Lake & Lone Star Lake. I have to warn you Scotty, I've been fishing a few years longer than you have, so look out!
    Jim

    ReplyDelete